In a society where people want everything now, the demand for instant fixes to life’s everyday beauty concerns is also on the rise. Whether it’s thinning hair, uneven skin tone or an oily face that shines like the top of the Chrysler Building, women don’t want to, nor should they, wait months to see results.
Yesterday, I went on CBS KCAL9 in Los Angeles to share some great 60 Second Beauty Fixes and Finds. Some of you missed the segment and most of you wanted more info on the products I talked about. After scouring the beauty shelves, here are the latest options that deliver instant gratification.
1) Thin to ‘Thick’ Hair in Seconds
The average woman loses 50-100 hairs every day, and many of us look for fuller hair.
Women can shake their way to fuller-looking locks instantly with Keranique’s Instant FX 100% Natural Hair Fibers uses electromagnetic forces to naturally bond fibers to hair, instantly filling in and reducing the appearance of thin patches in a matter of 30 seconds
Many women strive for supple, dewy skin, but highlighters and other products can leave skin looking super shiny and oily.
Cetaphil’s DermaControl Moisturizer SPF 30 is a 3-in-1 formula that uses Micropearl technology to absorb oil, reduce shine and give skin a matte finish, ideal for applying make-up.
It provides fast-acting, long-lasting, lightweight hydration while reducing dryness, redness and roughness all in one.
o Price: $15.99
o Where to buy: Available at major retail and drug stores nationwide
3) Time Saving BB Cream
DERMAdoctor DD Cream (*DD stands for dermatologically defining BB cream) is a multifunctional corrective beauty balm with 15 healthy skin benefits, including anti-aging, hydrating, defending with SPF 30, firming, brightening and more.
Instead of putting on your anti-aging cream, then your sunscreen, then your pore minimizer (and so on), save yourself minutes by using this one product. It does it all!
No skin-tone matching is required. The White Sapphire Complex is self-adjusting and will enhance the beauty of your own skin tone.
Sometimes no matter how much sleep we get, eyes can end up looking tired. Try the Hydroxatone Hydrolyze Instant Under Eye Illuminator to wake up sleepy eyes.
Optical light diffusers brighten the appearance of dark circles and puffiness, immediately upon application, while advanced peptides and natural plant extracts help stimulate microcirculation leaving you looking refreshed and awake.
Recently I’ve been back on the weight loss train trying to lose these extra pounds that have creeped up on me the last few years. My amazing doctor, Dr. Nancy Rahnama, in Beverly Hills, has taught me the importance of protein, water, sleep and ditching the gazillion supplements I was taking…(no thanks to the naturopaths and acupuncturists I was seeing). She also taught me the importance of eliminating certain foods that I was intolerant to and that were wreaking inflammatory havoc on my body.
It’s safe to say my body was happy to take a break from supplement overload (all my bloating went away) and extremely happy to log a solid 8 hours of sleep! More importantly though, once I started logging my food in my handy little fitness pal app, I realized how much of my diet consisted of carbs and sugar and how little protein I was getting on a daily basis. I had a goal to hit 80g – 100grams of protein a day. I was lucky if I was hitting 20! So far I’m down 11lbs in a month of following the above basic principles and I plan on continuing until I get to my goal weight.
There are so many diets out there, it’s easy to get confused and to jump on the next “great” fad but remember slow and steady always wins. Here are some amazing tips from an article in Marie Claire UK that I completely agree with for losing weight fast and being healthy while you do it! Enjoy!
“We’re bombarded with so many new fad diets and quick fix tips that working out how to lose weight fast, but healthily, can be totally confusing. We’ve spoken to top diet and fitness experts to find out how you can shed any unwanted pounds. Healthily.
1. ‘Make sure you have protein with every meal. Protein helps you feel fuller for longer and also helps balance your blood sugar to reduce any sweet cravings,’ says Shona Wilkinson, head nutritionist at Nutri Centre.
2. If you suffer from sugar cravings, consider taking a chromium supplement to help prevent them,’ she adds.
3. ‘Increase your intake of vegetables. Focus on dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale and broccoli. These are packed full of nutrients and will also help keep you full.’
4. ‘Downsize your dinner plates, says Shona. ‘It may sound mad, but plates have got bigger in the past few years. In turn, your portion sizes get bigger.’
5. ‘Stay away from high sugar fruits, such as grapes, raisins and bananas,’ says Patrick Holford, author of Burn Fat Fast. ‘Choose low sugar fruits, such as berries, plums and cherries, instead.’
6. ‘Do 8 minutes of resistance exercise three days a week. And do 30 minutes of cardio exercise – anything that gets your heart rate up – three times a week.’
7. ‘For your main meal, make sure that half the plate is made up of vegetables, one quarter is protein – a piece of lean meat or fish that would fit in your palm – and no more than a quarter is carbs,’ adds Patrick.
8. ‘Drink green tea,’ says diet expert Marisa Peer, author of You Can Be Thin. ‘It is proven to burn body fat, especially around the waist. If you don’t like the taste, have green tea capsules.’
9. ‘And limit bread to a few slices a week,’ says Marisa. ‘Eat rye or pumpernickel, instead of wheat bread.’
10. ‘Have protein for breakfast. Motivate yourself by remembering that your body wakes up in a fat-burning mode and eating protein first thing will help you keep burning fat right up until you next eat carbs,’ adds Marisa.
11. ‘Make sure you drink 1 litre of water per 20kg of your body weight,’ says fitness expert Jacqueline Wilson. ‘This is absolutely essential.’
12. ‘Go for natural foods as much as possible and do not eat any processed foods,’ says Jacqueline. ‘Nothing in a packet!’
13. ‘To beat bloating, reduce your salt intake,’ says diet expert Jane Michell, founder of Jane Plan. ‘Avoid adding salt to your meals or while cooking. Your tummy will become flatter and you will see a positive result on the scales.’
14. ‘Cut out alcohol,’ says Jane. ‘It contains a lot of hidden calories – a glass of wine has at least 100.’
15. ‘Choose healthy snacks that contain no more 120 calories. That’s equivalent to a very small handful of nuts and dried fruit.’
16. ‘Include pineapple, grapefruit and celery in your diet,’ says celebrity fitness trainer Jenny Pacey. ‘They contain enzymes that have been found to mobilise fat.’
17. ‘Get 8-9 hours of sleep per night,’ says fitness and nutrition expert Darryl Edwards. ‘Just a few nights of sleep deprivation can increase the levels of hormones that boost appetite and reduce your ability to register that you’re full.’
18. ‘Remove common food allergens, including dairy, wheat and nuts, from your diet,’ says fitness expert Phil Hawsworth. ‘You will quickly lose bloating from around your stomach.’
19. Invest in a pair of Zaggora HotPants to lose weight more rapidly during workouts. The fabric has been scientifically proven to increase the amount of calories you burn during exercise by raising your body temperature.
And finally… celebrity fitness trainer Jenny Pacey stresses that ‘reducing your calorie intake is key, but do not drop below 1,200 calories a day.’ She adds: ‘Your body will start to worry that you’re starving it and will slow down your metabolism.’
Bold Lips, Glowing Skin and Sexy Eyes were rocking the Red Carpet this weekend at the VMA’s and the Emmy’s. Everyone from Ariana Grande and her choice in rich lip colors to JLo opting for a sexy signature nude look, made a beauty statement as much as a fashion one.
Looking for some new makeup inspiration? Here are a few of my favorites!
Ariana Grande at the 2014 VMA’s
1. Ariana Grande – Love her deep plum lips! And she balanced them perfectly with a smokey nude eye and cheek. This look follows the “pick one feature and make it pop” rule. LOVE!
Rita Ora and Jennifer Lopez at the 2014 VMA’s
2. JLo and Rita Ora – Absolutely loved Rita’s signature red and JLo’s super sexy nude goddess look. Rita played up her eyes with lush lashes and dark framed brows. JLo kept her whole look monochromatic, which I love to do. You can get this look by using bronzer on your eyes and cheeks and framing the look with lashes and dark liner. Which look do you like best?
Kelly Osbourne at 2014 Emmys
3. Kelly Osbourne – This was a super nice departure from the bold and nude looks on the red carpet. I loved that she chose to go with a more feminine and flirty look with her makeup to perfectly compliment her dress. You can get this look by opting for soft pastel colored shadows. Try creme shadows. They are easier to blend and give you more of a “wash” look that you can bump with mascara or lashes. Pair this look with a berry blush and stain on the lips. So pretty!
Gwen Stefani at the 2014 Emmy’s
4. Gwen Stefani – OMG! This is what FRESH makeup looks like. How flawless does she look? She kept it simple with sheer lips, flawless skin, a bump of highlighter on her cheekbones and then an emphasis on her eyes. Notice that all her makeup is light reflecting which distracts from any imperfections (she has none!) and creates a more youthful glow….YES!
Katy Perry at the 2014 VMA’s
5. Katy Perry - I personally think Katy has never looked better. Her make up is the bomb! Loving how clean she kept her complexion with little to no blush and really let her eyes and lips make the statement. Not a lot of eyeshadow but heavy heavy lashes and winged liner. She also kept the look sexy and classic by opting for a matte red versus a glossy one. Picture Perfect!
Lizzy Kaplan at The Emmy’s
6. Lizzy Kaplan – Not only have I met her and think she’s one of the nicest and seriously most beautiful women on TV, I think she totally stole the show at the Emmy’s. Can we say BEST DRESSED??? The gorgeous Masters of Sex star chose a Donna Karan Atelier which stunned on the red carpet. But I need to talk about how gorgeous her makeup was. The perfect balance to her dress. I love the way she opted for a smokey eye but with soft charcoals and then kept the rest of her makeup really clean and flawless. Even her lip color choice is soft enough to let her eyes pop but still enough color to create a soft feminine look. Saved the best for last!